Cardiologist, 40 Years Experience
MBBS, MD, DM, PH.D
Dr. B. Soma Raju is one of the eminent doctors in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Dr. Soma Raju displays a multi-faceted personality – as a cardiologist, researcher, teacher, and above all, a philanthropist.
Dr. Soma Raju finished his medical schooling and MD from Guntur Medical College, and went on to pursue his DM in Cardiology from PGIMER, Chandigarh. After having obtained his PhD from JNTU, Hyderabad, he worked as a Registrar in Endocrinology and Internal Medicine, and later as a Registrar in Cardiology at PGIMER, Chandigarh.
He began his professional career at Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, where he joined as an Assistant Professor of Cardiology. After a short stint at OMC, Dr. Soma Raju joined the Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS) in 1984. He left NIMS in 1993, and during his tenure there he was instrumental not only in making the cardiology department one of the best in the country, but also in training a number of cardiologists.
Prof. Soma Raju conducted the first percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) in the country and headed a team that the distinction of performing the largest number of cardiac interventions in the country. Dr. Soma Raju, along with the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam developed the country’s first indigenous coronary stent – which was named the ‘Kalam Raju Stent’. Their invention reduced the cost of stents substantially and made them affordable and within the reach of the common people. He also helped develop India’s first coronary balloon catheter and still continues working on surgical devices for use in Interventional cardiology. He was conferred the Padmashri in the year 2001 for his contribution to the field of medicine.
In 1996, Dr. Soma Raju, along with a team of cardiac doctors and surgeons founded ‘Care Foundation’ that was aimed at making quality health care affordable and accessible to everyone. And, over the year Care hospitals developed and progressed and the result is evident from the Care group of hospitals that we see today! By the end of the decade, Dr. Soma Raju is planning to set up a state-of-the-art hospital with 10,000 beds.
- Languages : English, Telugu
Angioplasty With Stent Placement
MBBS, Guntur Medical College, Guntur
MD, Guntur Medical College, Guntur
DM, PGIMER, Chandigarh
Ph.D(Hon-Causa), JNTU, Hyderabad
AIG Hospitals, Gachibowli
Plot No 2/3/4/5, Survey No 136/1, Mindspace Road, Gachibowli, Hyderabad, Telangana – 500032
AIG Hospitals, Gachibowli Plot No 2/3/4/5, Survey No 136/1, Mindspace Road, Gachibowli, Hyderabad, Telangana - 500032
- Examiner for DM cardiology at Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- Examiner for DM cardiology at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Member, Cardiological Society of India
- Member, Association of Physicians of India
- Fellow of College of Chest Physicians
- Chief Co-ordinator PTCA Registry since 1997
- Executive Member, PTCA Registry, India. In-Charge Central Zone.
- Member, Society for Biomedical Technology (SBMT) and Co-Chairman, Programme Management Board
- Former Member Editorial Advisory for Interventional Cardiology, Indian Heart Journal
- Honored by Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences on National science Day 1997
- Asian Innovation Award in 1998 by The Far Eastern Economic Review.
- Andreas Gruentzig Memorial Award – 1998
- Conferred the 8th Yudhvir memorial award by the Yudhvir foundation for outstanding contribution to cardiac Medicare
- “Padma Shri” by Govt. of India – 2001
- Elected Fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences-2002
- Padmashri Dr B Soma Raju, chairman and chief of Cardiology, CARE Hospitals was conferred with the “Swasth Bharat Samman” award for 2012 under the ‘Path-breaking Innovation’ category, instituted by Zee News Limited
- Indias most admired cardiologist – India leadership conclave 2014
- Health Care excellence award by Express healthcare