How to Lose Weight Fast: 3 Simple Steps, Based on Science
If your doctor recommends it, there are ways to lose weight safely. A steady weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week is recommended for the most effective long-term weight management.
That said, many eating plans leave you feeling hungry or unsatisfied. These are major reasons why you might find it hard to stick to a healthier eating plan.
However, not all diets have this effect. Low carb diets and whole food, lower calorie diets are effective for weight loss and may be easier to stick to than other diets.
Here are some ways to lose weight that employ healthy eating, potentially lower carbs, and that aim to:
- reduce your appetite
- cause fast weight loss
- improve your metabolic health at the same time
One way to lose weight quickly is to and starches, or carbohydrates. This could be with a or by reducing and replacing them with whole grains.
When you do that, your hunger levels go down, and you generally end up eating fewer calories ( 1 ).
With a low carb eating plan, you’ll utilize burning stored fat for energy instead of carbs.
If you choose to eat more complex carbs like whole grains along with a , you’ll benefit from higher fiber and digest them more slowly. This makes them more filling to keep you satisfied.
A 2020 study confirmed that a very low carbohydrate diet was beneficial for losing weight in older populations ( 2 ).
Research also suggests that a low carb diet can reduce appetite, which may lead to eating fewer calories without thinking about it or feeling hungry ( 3 ).
Note that the long-term effects of a low carb diet are still being researched. It can also be difficult to adhere to a low carb diet, which may lead to and less success in maintaining a healthy weight.
There are potential to a low carb diet that may lead you to a different method. Reduced calorie diets can also lead to and be easier to maintain for longer periods of time.
If you opt for a diet focusing instead on over refined carbs, a 2019 study correlated high whole grain with lower body mass index (BMI) ( 4 ).
To determine the best way for you to lose weight, consult your doctor for recommendations.
Reducing sugars and starches, or carbs, from your diet can help curb your appetite, lower your insulin levels, and make you lose weight.
But the long-term effects of a low carb diet are not yet known. A reduced calorie diet could be more sustainable.
Each one of your meals should include:
- a protein source
- fat source
- a small portion of complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains
Eating a recommended amount of is essential to help preserve your health and muscle mass while losing weight ( 5 ).
to determine how much you need to eat without eating . Many factors determine your specific needs, but generally, an average person needs ( 9 ):
- 56–91 grams per day for the average male
- 46–75 grams per day for the average female
Diets with adequate protein can also help:
- reduce cravings and obsessive thoughts about food by 60%
- reduce the desire to snack late at night by half
- make you feel full
Healthy protein sources include:
- meat: beef, chicken, and lamb
- fish and seafood: salmon, trout, and shrimp
- eggs: whole eggs with the yolk
- plant-based proteins: beans, legumes, quinoa, tempeh, and tofu
Low carb and leafy green vegetables
Don’t be afraid to load your plate with . They’re packed with nutrients, and you can eat very large amounts without greatly increasing calories and carbs.
Vegetables to include for low carb or low calorie eating plans:
- Brussels sprouts
- Swiss chard
Don’t be afraid of eating fats.
Your body still requires no matter what eating plan you choose. and are great choices for including in your eating plan.
Other fats such as butter and coconut oil should be used only in moderation due to their higher saturated fat content ( 12 ).
Assemble each meal out of a protein source, healthy fat source, complex carb, and vegetables.
Leafy green vegetables are a great way to bulk up a meal with low calories and lots of nutrients.
Exercise, while not required to lose weight, can help you lose weight more quickly. Lifting weights has particularly good benefits.
Try going to the gym three to four times a week to lift weights. If you’re new to the gym, ask a trainer for some advice. Make sure your doctor is also aware of any new exercise plans.
If lifting weights is not an option for you, doing some cardio workouts such as walking, jogging, running, cycling, or swimming is very beneficial for weight loss and general health.
Both can help with weight loss.
Resistance training, such as weightlifting, is a great option for losing weight. If that’s not possible, cardio workouts are also effective.
Choose what’s sustainable for you.
If you opt for a low carb eating plan, it’s not necessary to as long as you keep your carb intake very low and stick to protein, fat, and low carb vegetables.
If you find yourself not losing weight, you may want to keep track of your calories to see if that’s a contributing factor.
If you’re sticking to a to lose weight, you can use a free online calculator like .
Enter your sex, weight, height, and activity levels. The calculator will tell you how many calories to eat per day to maintain your weight, lose weight, or lose weight fast.
You can also download free, easy-to-use calorie counters from websites and app stores. Here’s a to try.
Note that eating too few calories can be for losing weight. Aim to reduce your calories by a sustainable and healthy amount based on your doctor’s recommendation.
Counting calories isn’t usually needed to lose weight on a low carb eating plan. But if you’re not losing weight or on a reduced calorie eating plan, calorie counting may help.
Here are 9 more tips to lose weight faster:
- Eat a high protein breakfast. Eating a could help reduce cravings and calorie intake throughout the day ( 16 , 17 ).
- Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice. Empty calories from sugar aren’t useful to your body and can hinder weight loss ( 18 , 19).
- Drink water before meals. One study showed that drinking water before meals reduced calorie intake and may be effective in weight management ( 20 ).
- Choose weight-loss-friendly foods. Some foods are better for weight loss than others. Here is a list of .
- Eat soluble fiber. Studies show that soluble fibers may promote weight loss. Fiber supplements like can also help ( 21 , 22 , 23).
- Drink coffee or tea. Caffeine consumption can ( 24 , 25).
- Base your diet on whole foods. They’re healthier, more filling, and much less likely to cause overeating than processed foods.
- Eat slowly. Eating quickly can lead to weight gain over time, while makes you feel more full and boosts weight-reducing hormones ( )
- Get good quality sleep. Sleep is important for , and poor sleep is one of the biggest risk factors for weight gain ( 27 , 28 , 29).
For more tips on weight loss, read about here.
Eating whole foods, higher protein, soluble fiber, and less sugar can help you lose more weight. Don’t forget to get a good night’s sleep, too.